Brining a turkey seem like a daunting, messy process, but trust me; It is so worth every ounce of the effort. I use a brine recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse (recipe)
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
1. Measure the ingredients.
2. Add water and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve.
3. Prepare your cooler with 2 strong kitchen trash bags. You can purchase bags specifically for brining, but if you make a large turkey, it is easier to use my method.
4. Place one bag inside of the other so that you have a double wall of support and leak protection.
5. Rinse the turkey and remove any “parts” from the cavity. Check both ends…
6. Place the turkey in the bag, inside the cooler.
7. Pour brine into the bag with the turkey.
8. Squeeze out the air, and ensure that the turkey is completely immersed in the brine. Knot each bag tightly.
9. Pack the cooler with ice and store it in the garage or on your deck or patio, out of the sun, for 4-24 hours.
10. After the appropriate amount of time has passed, remove the turkey from the cooler, discard the brine, and rinse the turkey under cool running water.
11. You are now ready to roast the best turkey ever.
For the complete recipe, click here: The Best Freakin’ Turkey, EVER!