‘Tis the season for salad. As the reality sets in that bathing suit, tank top, and shorts weather has arrived, we are all feeling the need to eat a little healthier and we are a bit more body conscious. But one needs to be cautious when eating salads not to fall into” lettuce limbo”, or “dressing death-traps”. This salad is a simple recipe for a well rounded meal, that won’t trick you into five extra pounds.
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- ½- ¾ cup of fresh sliced strawberries
- 20 toasted hazelnuts
- 1Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. of honey
- A few shavings of fresh ginger (2-3 swipes across a micro-plane)
- Toast hazelnuts on the stove top by placing them in a small skillet over medium heat and swirling them in the pan until they start to brown. Keep them moving, otherwise they will burn. Allow them to cool.
- Slice the strawberries.
- Mix with the spinach in a bowl.
- While hazelnuts are cooling, combine the oil, vinegar, honey, & ginger. Whisk until well combined.
- Once hazelnuts are cool, toss into the salad with the dressing and enjoy immediately.
Prep time: 8 minutes Serves: 1 Calories: Approx 383