Positively Perfect Pasta Sauce
Italian I’m not
But the garden, I love
Here is a recipe that stands all above
So roll up your sleeves
And get a big pot
For a perfect red sauce
That is savory and HOT!!!
• 15-20 Red Roma Tomatoes (enough to cover the bottom of a large roasting pan)
• Large pot of boiling water
• Large pot of ice water
• 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 head of garlic, peeled
1 medium onion chopped
• 10-15 fresh basil leaves chopped
• 2-3 pinches of fresh oregano chopped
2 bay leaves (remove before serving)
• 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar
• Salt & pepper to taste
1. Wash tomatoes, remove the core, and slice a shallow “X” on the bottom of each tomato.
2. Drop tomatoes into boiling water until the skin splits. (about 2 min)
3. Remove with tongs and drop in ice bath.
4. Pull tomatoes out of the ice bath and slip the skin off. Discard skin and place tomato into the roasting pan.
5. Once the tomatoes are skinned, add olive oil, onion, and garlic to the pan and mix.
6. Place in the oven at 425 degrees and roast for about 30 minutes. Tomatoes will start to break down and get browned on the bottom. Garlic should also be soft and browned.
7. Add basil, bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper, and sugar. Roast for 10-15 more minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and puree with a hand blender.
9. Serve over pasta or with fresh garlic bread.
• This recipe can be made with whole cherry or grape tomatoes (skip the blanching process–just wash and skip to step 5)
• You can also add cheese, such a parmesan or Romano, or meat to individualize the flavor.