This is hands down, the best butternut squash soup! It pairs perfectly with open-faced brie grilled cheese on a baguette. I also topped mine off with a drizzle of cream, just to add a bit of decadence. Another thing I love about this soup is that it freezes well, so I always make a double batch.
1 cup of chopped yellow onion
1 butternut squash, cleaned & cut in 1/2 in. cubes
3 medium Bosc or Anjou pears, peeled, cored, & cut into chunks
32 oz. chicken stock (you can also use vegetable stock)
2 tbsp. of coconut oil
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large stock pot.
- Add onions & squash and cook covered, stirring occasionally for 10 min.
- Add pears, stock, & thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 min. until squash and pears are soft.
- Puree until smooth. (I use a hand-blender)
- Season to taste with salt & pepper or drizzle some light cream on top.
*** Serving suggestion– serve with a toasted baguette topped with melted Brie.